HappyAccidents
Newly Registered

HELP! Elm Bonsai has buds but won't leaf

It's been about 3 months since my Elm exhibited buds, but the buds haven't developed into leaves. I'm at a loss about what to do. Should I remove the buds with the expectation that new ones will grow?

As background, we moved from the northeast U.S. to southwest Florida in November when the tree was dormant. I wanted to repot at that time but was just to busy with the move. So, since it was quite warm in Florida and I wanted the tree to stay dormant for a few months I put it in a refrigerator for the winter. It seemed to do fine. In March I decided it was time to let it grow again and put it in a shaded area on our lanai. It began to bud. Then I re-potted it and gave it a bit of natural fertilizer (probably bad timing but it was so overdue I didn't want to wait for Fall). For over 2 months there's been no activity on the buds. They appear to be alive. The branches aren't brittle and the trunk has had new growth so I know the tree is still alive.

I'd hate to lose the tree since I've had it for about 6 years and it's the only one I brought from 'home'. Any suggestions?

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”