carolsgarden
Newly Registered

Smaller Shrub for North Facing Wall

I am looking for a smaller shrub for a north facing planting space. The area is in our back yard, is 5 feet deep and 14 feet long. It has a sidewalk on one side and a wall on the other. Rather like a capital D. As I explained in an earlier post, I'm considering azaleas, but find they have definite growing requirements. I will need to prep the area for proper pH and probably add peat moss for good water drainage. Maybe another smaller shade friendly shrub would need a little less effort. I've also been reducing my garden to those plants easier to look after. Do you have some ideas for the type of plant that would fit the shade requirement of the north facing site? I do have some nice hosta I'd like to keep there. Thanks much. :D

LeaSmea

I agree that azaleas are picky when it comes to their growing conditions.

I had a similar scenario and ended up going with a prague viburnum. Viburnums are great because they are workhorses, will grow practically everywhere except deep shade and provide three (sometimes four) seasons of interest. Some varieties can get quite tall but if you prune them back you can keep them to a manageable size. Bear in mind that if you choose to plant one in partial shade it will grow, but not to it's full potential and the blooming power and berries will be somewhat diminished than if it were in full sun.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”