debbiep
Newly Registered

removing oak saplings from ivy

I have ivy growing on a slope, under two large oak trees, in my front yard. Everyone says you can't kill ivy, but I can't seem to grow it very well, either. A few years ago, oak saplings started growing in it - I tried to remove them immediately but gave up because there were so many and they were difficult to pull out. Now their leaves completely cover the ivy and I want to remove (kill?) them. I love my ivy and would like to keep it.

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

You could either buy a Weed Wrench or try to find someone locally you can hire who owns one (they cost about $150). That tool would pull out an oak seedling without disrupting the ivy very much (use a board or large flat stone under the heel end of the Weed Wrench). If that is not an option you could cut the oak saplings a few inches above ground and immediately paint the the cut using a foam brush with a strong herbicide (glyphosate at a 50% concentration is one option) but I much prefer simply pulling them out. The herbicide path is less environmentally benign and really calls for experienced application.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”