JRZ
Newly Registered

Need Some Help to ID This Tree

I am having some trouble identifying a young tree that is growing in my yard.

It has been there for around 3 or 4 years and is now a little under 10 feet tall. Bark seems to be a deep, slightly reddish brown and the leaves are serrated. I am in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada (Zone 6A, I believe).

I have a few photos below, they were taken a year or two ago when the bark looked a little more green in areas. It seems like a much darker brown/ reddish brown now.

Thanks in advance!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Nice "bug" pictures! :) Has your shrub bloomed yet? It will become much easier to ID when it does.

I'm not sure, but one possibility would be some kind of viburnum.

JRZ
Newly Registered

Haha thanks! I didn't really have any close-up shots of the leaves aside from what I happened to get in a few of my random insect pictures, so I figured those would do just as well.

No, the shrub has not bloomed yet.

How large would they typically grow before blooming?

JRZ
Newly Registered

Update: I just went outside to check on the new growth that is starting to appear and noticed something a little different from previous years.

It looks to me like the shrub in question might be getting ready to bloom this year. I'm not 100% sure about that, but hopefully it will help to narrow down the possibilities for the ID of this thing.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”