Safroniabee

Newly planted dogwood lost flowers

We bought and planted a dogwood two weeks ago. It had some nice flowers when we planted it but they have since died. There are still green leaves but I see no new growth at all since we planted. Is this normal? What should I expect in terms of growth for this tree this season? I think I may have been watering too often so I cut back. Toral newbie here. Thanks!
Attachments
image.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Losing the flowers would be quite typical for a young tree going through transplant. It is not looking very well right now (leaves yellowing, etc), but it all may be transplant shock. You need to continue to keep it moist, but not wet (don't let it dry out, but don't let it be soggy). Do not fertilize until it starts putting out new leaves. Hope for the best! :)

If the tree does not pull through, you can go back to the place you bought it. Since the tree never started growing, they should replace it. Sometimes trees, especially from big box stores, have been in cold storage too long waiting for the season.

Safroniabee

Thanks for the reply! So how long should it take to recover? I got it from a fundraiser tree sale so I wouldn't be able to get it replaced through them, unfortunately.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”