Safroniabee

Is this what a baby pin oak should look like?

We bought and planted a pin oak tree two weeks ago. It was very Charlie Brown Christmas tree-like when we got it, but it has since put out buds that turned into these teeny tiny leaves. I am completely new to gardening and have NO clue if this is what it's supposed to look like or even how old it is. Would love to hear anyone's thoughts. Also would love if anyone knows of a website where you can see trees sorted by age. I'm dying to know what these trees look like year to year as they grow. Thanks!
Attachments
image.jpg

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Oak leaves break bud small. I can't tell which kind of oak this tree is.

Most oaks are tap-root dominant. So thats actually a pretty big oak in a nursery container.

The short is white oaks have rounded end on the lobes of their leaves. Red oaks have points on their lobes.

Safroniabee

The leaves are confusing me. There's one small branch with these bigger leaves, then one branch with medium leaves, but the rest are these clusters of teeny tiny leaves. I just have no idea if this is normal growth or a sign of something being wrong! I so want this tree to do well! :)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Well its got points on the end of the leaves (so its in red-oak family), now its time to go to Audubon or Petersons tree manual. or one of the net search engines. My peterson doesn't have it on a plate of leaves. Be back after a google.

Pin oak (quercus palustrus) is also in the red-oak family. I'm not sure how critical the plant differences of oaks are to you. I'm sure there could be minor differences in adult sizes and shapes in red oaks. Ask again in 400 years...

Safroniabee

I was told it was a pin oak. I assume that's what it is. I'm just concerned with its growth, if it seems to be doing well or if there are signs that it needs more. The leaves are sparse and not very green which I took as not the best sign?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Its spring. and your tree is just budding out. My english oaks (Q robur) are doing the same color thing as they bud out.

I wouldn't fret too much.

You will want a ring of bark mulch out a few inches from the trunk and reaching as far as the drip edge of the tree. I would keep up on annual applications of bark mulch for the next several years.

Mulch will tend to conserve moisture for your tree and will harbor worms who can help with how well your soil percolates water.

The top ten list for what a tree needs, has water or mulch for at least the first seven.

Safroniabee

Great, thank you! We did mulch a wide ring around it and I've been watering it daily because I read that pin oaks like wet areas.. I'm very hopeful for our little tree!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”