BassanioGratiano
Newly Registered

Planted a tree where another tree was removed

Hi There. First time poster.

Four years ago I made the novice mistake of planting a Ginkgo Biloba where a tree was removed. It has not grown at all. Its leaves are small and it has not once shown any sign of growth.

I now understand why it's bad to plant a tree where another one was removed but is there anything I can do to fix the situation now? I've mulched and applied fertilizer and compost annually for the last four years but nothing seems to do the trick. Any advice?

imafan26
Mod

It can take years for the roots of the old tree to decompose. I would just feed the ginko more frequently. As long as the ginko is healthy that is all you can really do. BTW, ginko is a very slow growing tree anyway, so it does take a long time to grow even under the best of circumstances.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Bassanio - welcome to the forum.

I am facing the same situation. Last fall we had to have an ENOURMOUS southern live oak removed. The stump was ground and I have a large - 23' x 20' x 20" deep mound of sawdust tapering out to ground level on all sides. I want to use that as a base for a berm. I want to extend it to the left as viewed from the patio. After consulting with my County Agent and Master Gardener friends I have been adding grass clippings. The plan is to till that in then add compost, till in and add aged horse manure, tilled in. The process ill be repeated once or twice during the summer. My goal is to have the sawdust well composted by fall and the berm built to the depth, width and height that I want.

The problem has been the daily rain for the past 2 1/2 weeks.

I want to plant a Drake or Lace Bark Elm as a focal point of the berm. Fast growing, small (25' to 35' tall and wide) shade tree suitable for my subdivision lot and my growing region.

Back to your issue. You may want to consider having a soil test done to see what, if any, nutrients are missing from your soil. With random fertilization you may be doing more harm than good. A soil test gives you a base line to work from.

Adding organic matter is always a good thing. When you add organic matter be careful not to put it against your young tree. Leave at least a 12" radius from the trunk to your organic matter.

Good luck

BassanioGratiano
Newly Registered

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”