JG11
Newly Registered

Bush ID required so I can look after it

Hello,

I am a new gardener and would like to know how I can trim back this heather bush. I have read a few articles and it seems that I need to know what type of heather it is so I can maintain it properly, so if anyone can give me a likely type that would be great.

Also, if anyone can give me some good maintenance tips that would be great, I would like to cut it back to make it look much neater but never done this before and scared I kill it.

Thanks,
J
Attachments
image.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know varieties of heather, maybe someone will come along who knows more about them. Generally, not something I have grown, but I think they are pruned after they flower. Cut the stems off about half way down, being sure to stay in the green area. if you cut down into the brown wouody part, that stem will not rejuvenate.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

IDK exactly what Heather you have but Heather is generally a very hardy plant. Closer to a weed than a shrub.

DITTO RBG on pruning in the green stem. Remove any dead stems. You can also completely remove any long, woody stems with only a little bit of green on the end. You won't get foliage or blooms from the hard, woody part so just take it out.

Good luck

JG11
Newly Registered

Thank you all, appreciate the comments! Will cut it back and see how it gets on!

JG

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”