lbmick
Newly Registered

What Trees instead of arborvite or leyand cypress

Hey there
Two hurricanes ago we had leylands for privacy around our entire backyard. We are a corner property and our yard is not very deep. We are looking to once again have that privacy but I was wondering if there was another option--zone 7 Long Island.
We have a 6' white vinyl fence (total buyers remorse!) And hopes are to find trees that we can get as close as possible to the fence as well as eachother. Ideal would be something like a cypress on a trunk .... its not deciduous but I am open to any suggestions! I know ive seen exactly what I'm looking but it might have been on the west coast.

Very much appreciate your help!
Mickey

imafan26
Mod

Unless you are willing to spend some money on some larger trees it may take a while for the trees to fill in. Fast growing trees are usually brittle and break easily. If you want something near the fence, you need a tree that does not have invasive roots and more columnar in shape or it will spread into the fence. I still would not plant anything too close to the fence anyway, it still needs to be maintained and will get wider as it ages.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I was confused when you said "it's not deciduous." You are looking for evergreen like you had before?

Columnar evergreens besides the arborvitae or cypress, include juniper (e.g. blue arrow, sky rocket or Spartan) and spruce, sky pencil holly, pyramid pine. There are tall, narrow privets and euonymus (e.g. green spire).

Here's a whole list of narrow growing conifers:

https://www.conifer.com.au/narrow_conifers

lbmick
Newly Registered

Rainbowgardener--thank you!!!!!!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”