hawoodring
Newly Registered

Help ID this sick bush

Hey all,

I just bought a house (in Southern Maryland) and am having trouble identifying this bush. It also looks like it has some fungus or something on it. Any idea what this is or what I should do about it?

Thanks!
Attachments
photo 2.JPG
photo 1.JPG

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Hi Hawoodring - welcome to the forum.

You either have a major insect infestation, serious soil deficiencies or a combination of both.

Inspect the leaves and stems. Look closely under the leaves and at the leaf joints. If you see anything weird looking take very good, close up photos and post them.

If that were MY shrub I would take stem and leaf cuttings, put them in a zip lock and run - not walk - to my County Extension Office. I would also take a soil sample in for testing. I HIGHLY recommend soil test.

Do keep in mind that not all Extension Offices are as responsive as others.

Good luck

Looking forward to hearing more from you.

catgrass
Green Thumb

Could it be cold damage? A shrub not suitable for a Maryland winter?

LIcenter

catgrass wrote:Could it be cold damage? A shrub not suitable for a Maryland winter?
That was my first thought also. "wind burn" It's a Privet so it should be fine as cold hardiness goes. Just doesn't like right for wind burn tho. Here's something I posted awhile back on privet & boxwood blight.

Link to thread here.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =8&t=60156

Re: Boxwood and Waxleaf Privet Problems
Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:32 am

I was doing a little driving around, and happened to notice that discoloration on many of the privets in my area. I know there is a variegated type of privet, so I never really paid it any mind. But now looking more closely they all have exactly what you describe. Here is what I found concerning Privet, and Boxwoods. Links below.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.cce.cor ... 1410527471

https://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.cce.cor ... 1410527450

hawoodring
Newly Registered

Nothing worth noting under leaves/stem joints. But here are more pictures.

I'm doubtful about the soil being the issue, because many shrubs nearby seem unaffected (boxwoods a couple yards over that aren't picture).
Attachments
photo 1 (1).JPG
many leaves deeper in seem to be unaffected
many leaves deeper in seem to be unaffected
varying degrees of the illness
varying degrees of the illness

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Not cold damage. If the shrub was not able to take your winters it would never have grown to the size it is.

Almost certainly insect damage. You are not seeing them because it is early in the season. What you see is last year's damage.

Pay VERY close attention to your new growth. Check the underside of the leaves and the leaf joints every couple of days. You may want to use a magnifying glass.

Hate to repeat myself but bring damaged foliage and stems to your County Agent for evaluation. They have the advantage of familiarity with regional pest.

Good luck

imafan26
Mod

Are you sure the leaves just aren't variegated. The inner leaves may be dark green because it is in relative darkness and the leaves exposed to more light will be variegated. Like a variegated holly.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”