ponderosa66
Newly Registered

Growing Ponderosa Pine

I am currently growing one ponderosa pine from seed and it threw off his seed shell about 2 weeks ago or so. I was just wondering if anyone has noticed that nursery grown ponderosa pine seem to have a lot less wood or bark and a lot longer needles then do ponderosa that grow in the wild. Would this be a nutrient deal affecting needle length? Or elements such as wind affecting early bark growth? I have tried looking on the internet for an explanation but can come up with nothing. I know this question is a little "different" if you will but any sort of help would be great. I am posing this question because I want my young seedlings to have a "tough and thick" look to them like wild trees do early in there lifetime rather than looking nursery grown. Thank you so much for any help or advice you can give.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I'm not sure how many people (or proffesionals for that matter) can identify a pine sapling just out of its seed-coat.

I think you have a several year wait, till your tree starts to take on the form and figure of its adult self.

ponderosa66
Newly Registered

Haha very true they all look very similar when they are real young. I thought as much. It is just very interesting how different nursery pines look from wild pines and I know it has to do a lot with the watering, fert, heat, etc. I guess what I'm trying to accomplish is growing a ponderosa that looks like the ones that grow out in the wild rather than ones that are grown in a nursery. I live in Flagstaff, Arizona.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”