Panoply
Newly Registered

Jacaranda Tree Questions

Hello,

I am considering getting a Jacaranda Tree for my yard. I am in a zone that may allow me to get it to grow. I am in Baton Rouge, Louisiana (zip=70808) and am in zone 8 or 9 depending on who you ask or what website you ask.

I understand that the juvenile trees are much more vulnerable to cold weather and was wondering if there was a way to protect them on the rare (for us) nights when it gets below freezing.

Also, please let me know of anything else I can do to help make sure this tree survives. My yard has an enormous amount of clay and this is a problem with everything I plant. How would I go about amending the soil for this tree? Please be specific and assume no knowledge on my part as I am very new to this.

Are my odds good in getting this tree to grow for me? ANY other info on this is most welcome!

Thanks,
Pan

imafan26
Mod

Do you have room for a tree that will grow 50-90 ft tall with a spreading canopy? It is a lovely tree when it is in bloom, but it is messy. The roots are invasive so you cannot plant it near foundations or underground utilities.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”