A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

Re: Starting to Farm Bamboo

By the way, LIcenter, lol on the big machines trying to eradicate it. Yeah, there are bulldozers in the rivercane patch in the woods too, but there are new shoots every time they come back to check. Lesson: You cannot get rid of bamboo :D so just enjoy your everlasting resources! Food, wood, panda magnet...what could be better?

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

The bamboo came! Please tell me how to germinate them.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Really? True bamboo seed is rare, expensive, and difficult to find and it does not remain viable for very long. If you paid less than $.25 per seed, it is probably not true bamboo. Some varieties of bamboo only flower once in a human lifetime.

I've never tried it, but here's an article about germinating bamboo seeds.

https://www.gator-ventures.com/bamboo/ba ... nation.htm

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

This is Bambusa nutans, and I paid $1.50 per seed. I would say it is real! Thanks for the article, I will try it. I am still trying to find sphagnum moss, but I'll figure it out--I need it for my pitcher plant seeds...and my other pitcher plant seeds.

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

I have TWO out of 100 that germinated. But, I guess, it's some. What do I do with them? They are in a seed starter now, because the shoot on each is half an inch long, but they will reach the top soon. Help!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

You can pot up. Into larger pots. Bamboo will run and make more corms? rhizomes? Children by roots. So if you've got one, there will be more.

Plant to your outdoors into contained bed in late May.

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

Ok, thanks! I can't believe they survived my neglect--the hundred were in a bowl of water for two months, three sprouted, then the water evaporated, and two survived. They were on a shelf near the ceiling and I had forgotten about them. I went to clean the shelf and discovered the parched seedlings. I immediately rinsed them thoroughly and put them in a seed starter, because I had no pots on hand.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”