Heirloom
Newly Registered

Pear Tree Being Attacked by Carpenter Ants.

A beautiful sugar pear tree in my back garden is being attacked by carpenter ants. I have seen the ants and they are entering through a crack in the trunk I have sprayed ant poison into the crack a couple of time. I even used a straw once to try and get it deeper into the tree. No matter what I do, a pile of sawdust appears at the bottom of the tree a couple of days later. I can see the tree is becoming distressed and the leaves are becoming brown rather than a healthy green. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the ants and save the tree? It would be so sad to have it die because of these insects. Thank you in advance for any advice. :cry:

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi :D

I don't know if it will work with carpenter ants as we don't have them here but vinegar might do the trick. Ants don't like it and it also throws them off their scent trail.
Try clearing a circle around the tree then pour an unbroken circle of vinegar on this bare ground. You could try spraying it in the nest too as long as you don't do it too often as I don't know what affect this would have on the tree.
Let me know if you do this and if it helps.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”