allymrtn
Newly Registered

What to plant?

Hi,

I'm looking to plant a tree or shrub/hedge that will provide privacy. I have 5.5 acres on a corner lot, and have some huge mature spruce trees along much of the fenceline. The other street frontage has a power line just outside the fence, so I can't go too large. I have some cedar hedging, but that's too appealing to the deer in my area.

I'm in Central British Columbia, in Clearwater. Any suggestions? I love the blue spruce trees, as they're nice and thick, but I don't know what will grow well and what won't interfere with the power lines at maturity...

Thanks so much!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Wow! You are way up there, Allymrtn.

What is the elevation there in Clearwater, about 1,000 meters? You are at 52° North latitude ... nearly.

My grandparents lived in Hope, waayy down river from you. I stayed with my grandmother's friend for a few weeks when I was a real young guy. She thought I should go up and see the "Cariboo District." I think she was trying to get rid of me!

Okay, if we do a little comparisons of elevation, latitude and environments -- I should be about 2,500 meters in New Mexico/southern Colorado. My guess is that a comparable environment to yours would be well above Denver in northern Colorado.

Here is Colorado State University and Planttalk on Trees & Shrubs.

Welcome to the forum. I hope that link is of some help.

Steve

allymrtn
Newly Registered

Thanks Steve. I imagine I'm somewhere between a 4a-5a zone, but can't find any maps specific enough for my area. I'm not much of a gardener in the least, but I have to figure out something that will fit the bill for privacy!

Thanks for the link :)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The Canadian hardiness zones are based on more than what is used in the US and what is used in that Colorado State University information. Still, if you have some idea of winter extreme temperatures in Clearwater, the information should be useful.

It is Average Annual Extreme Minimum Temperatures. That is, what it usually gets down to on the worst day in winter. Not, records ... just average coldest. Of course that mean that a plant might be killed on below average lows ... Probably the usefulness of the designations are as much for the plant companies to expand their markets as it is for their consumers but, there you go.
  • zone
    3a -40°C to -37°C
    3b -37° to -34°
    4a -34° to -32°
    4b -32° to -29°
    5a -29° to -26°
    5b -26° to -23°
I thought to suggest the smaller varieties of Austrian Pine but wondered if they would be sufficiently hardy. Perhaps, they would be fine.

Steve :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

does it have to be evergreen? If so, I would suggest the western red cedar. Fragrant wood and needles and berries that feed cedar waxwings and a number of other birds. If it could be deciduous, consider a mixed border, including dogwood, choke cherry, serviceberry, ceanothus, etc.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”