peterkent
Newly Registered

Beech Hedge - Severe Side Pruning

Have a question about giving a severe pruning to a beech hedge.

I have a long green beech hedge alongside a boundary chestnut paling fence. On the fence side, it's only 12" (0.3m) deep from face to trunks and my neighbour prunes it flush with the fence. However, despite hedge trimming, my side has inevitably and gradually crept out sideways and is now 3' (1m) deep from face to trunks and is almost over the path!

I want to cut this side back to a similar 12" as per the other side which will stop hedge leaning, reveal the path, and give me more land again!

I've read in various places that it's OK to severely cut back a beech hedge on the sides, but with a severe prune to only do one side at a time. That's fine as I don't want to do the other side. What I can't seem to find is WHEN is the best time to do such a severe side pruning? Also to cut back from 3' to 12" is OK?

There seems a difference of opinion about normal pruning - one school says Feb before the sap rises, the other school says end summer "to keep brown leaves on during winter" (don't quite understand that bit). I wonder if the same applies to a severe side pruning and the same two schools of thought apply?

Anyone know about or done a severe side pruning, and what time of year? Thanks.

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

I would be very reluctant to cut back any hedge by 2/3rds of its depth (even on only one side) in a single year. Without seeing it it is difficult to be certain but I think I would plan to take it back approximately 25cm each year. The more you cut off the greater the metabolic shock. I have seen trees and shrubs that were killed by over zealous pruners. I would elect to prune in late winter but I suggest you seek professional local advice as I am not used to working in climates as mild as yours.

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi Peter :D

The best time to cut hard back is now as it is dormant but don't be over zealous as it will take time to recover and you will be looking at a very scruffy hedge for a long time. I would do it over 2 seasons. Make sure that next Spring you feed it up well so you get lots of new growth to fill in the gaps.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”