rosemariebruss
Newly Registered

what are these??

www.flickr.com/photos/11411494@N08

Hi,
My husband and I acquired these shrubs with the home we purchased last year. None of the neighbors really knows what they are, and the larger shrub needs pruning. We were told that one is 'male', the other is female.

We live in zone 6; these are deciduous.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rose

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

Smokebush, Cotinus coggyria These are a moderately difficult pruning challenge. You need to decide if you are pruning to optimize the bloom or the foliage. If you want to control the size you will probably have to opt for the latter. Prune them in the spring. If you want them to be really compact you can reduce them to a framework of stubs a foot or less from the ground.
Alternately you can remove about 1/3 of the stems (the tallest/oldest ones) each year. There is a bit more to it to produce really great results but this isn't the place for a master pruning class.

rosemariebruss
Newly Registered

I appreciate your time and tips, and the name(s) of the shrunbs. Some plantings can be pruned late summer/early fall----others, in the spring. The larger specimen looks as if it had never been pruned by the previous owners and is looking unwieldy.

Thanks again.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”