jesse977
Newly Registered

What type of tree to plant near stree/sidewalk

I have like 150 feet of space between the sidewalk and the street. The space is about 3 1/2 feet wide. What type of tree do you guys recommend I plant. The city just removed 3 huge ficus trees and replaced the damaged sidewalk. I want to avoid problems in the future by planting a tree that doesn't damage the sidewalk.

applestar
Mod

I recommend you include your location in the profile. It's impossible to recommend plants without knowing the geographic location, climate, type of soil, sun exposure, and water/moisture levels of the ground.

The fact that you mention "ficus trees" already indicates you probably live in a location that isn't like my area....

imafan26
Mod

Here the curb trees are planted or required by the city. The HOA does not want the strip cemented, but a lot of people do that since the city trees notoriously make a lot of rubbish and they don't want the tree they are forced to pay for and they don't want to get cited from the HOA for maintenance of the curb strip.

Three feet is not much room for a tree. The tree would have to have non invasive roots, be tolerant of traffic and not need a whole lot of care. Here if a homeowner plants a tree in the curb, they are responsible for pruning and fixing the side walk too. The tree also needs to be pruned so that it does not interfere with emergency vehicles like fire trucks.

Instead of a tree, why not put in some other type of landscaping. Choose low maintenance native plants that would take care of themselves once they are established and do not need much manicuring. If you plant a tree or hedge, it would be better planted in your yard if you have enough room. Make sure you know where the utilities are located. The tree should be planted as far away from pipes and power lines as the natural canopy will reach. Hedges and trees provide shade and will buffer street noises and dust.

jesse977
Newly Registered

I live in Los Angeles. How about a bush that looks like a small tree?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Serviceberry would be a really nice one. There is a western species of it that is native for you. It is a shrub or small tree. It can be pruned to a single trunk, if you want it tree form. It has fragrant white flowers early in spring, then sweet blue berries that are edible by humans, but you probably won't get any, because birds love them, then fall color. It is tolerant of a lot of conditions of sun, soil, etc.

Other possibilities include desert ceanothus, a semi-evergreen shrub with fragrant flowers and seeds that birds and chipmunks like. Tree or bush poppy is an evergreen shrub that is in the poppy family and has brilliant yellow poppy like flowers (but smaller), very drought tolerant. Toyon (aka California Christmasberry, California holly) is an evergreen shrub or small tree: "Leathery, dark-green leaves provide a background for profuse white blooms and long-lasting displays of bright-red berries. The flowers and berries occur in large, terminal clusters. One of the most beautiful native shrubs or small trees, evergreen, with short trunk, many branches, and rounded crown. Leathery, dark-green leaves provide a background for profuse white blooms and long-lasting displays of bright-red berries. Toyon is very showy in winter with evergreen leaves and abundant red fruit and is popular for Christmas decorations. Adaptable, long-lived and drought-tolerant. Berries that birds like last from Nov. to Feb.

These are all listed as commercially available, but you would probably have to go to a native plant nursery, such as:

https://theodorepayne.org/
https://www.laspilitas.com/

They would be able to give you better help than I can about what would be best to plant in your conditions.
Native plants, once established, are hardier and more carefree, because adapted to the conditions.

catgrass
Green Thumb

I don't know what zone you are in, but here in the deep south, Crepe Myrtles are used as street trees a lot, River birch, Ligustrum can be trained to become a tree, and makes a pretty one.

imafan26
Mod

He said he lived in California. Crepe myrtles are pretty, but they are messy trees. We have them as street trees. They have less invasive roots but they spread seed everywhere.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”