robertandrews
Newly Registered

What are these, how to prune?

I am setting about autumn/winter pruning. I have a couple of shrubs in my front forecast garden that are also too large. But what are they and what are the guidelines for taking care of them, and when?
Many thanks for your help!

Shrub 1:
Rhododendron?
IMG_5560.JPG
Shrub 2:
Also flowers red/pink.
IMG_5559.JPG
Shrub 3:
Top-down view, main trunk growing awkwardly, nice smell.
IMG_5561.JPG
Group shot:
Showing Shrub 2 in front of Shrub 1 and, behind both, Shrub 3, out of view.
IMG_5562.JPG

imafan26
Mod

Re: What are these, how to prune?

The last one looks like a variegated pittosporum. It is a common hedge plant. It does need frequent pruning. Follow the basic pruning rules. Do not take off more than 1/3 of the plant at a time. Do the pruning just before the plant is to flush with new growth and feed it well just before pruning so it will have the energy to grow.

If it is pittosporum, I think the plants will take hard pruning but to be safe sometimes I will only cut back half the plant and wait for the new growth to start and then cut back the other side. It does grow back unevenly, but I can later prune to shape.

If you are not sure what it is, then prune it back slowly usually in the Spring just before new growth flushes. I would only cut back partially. If the plants are very old, they may not be able to come back well and may need to be replaced. Feed the plants before you prune.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

Re: What are these, how to prune?

The first picture looks like a rhododendron. Here is a link to a site about pruning and care of Rhodies. :)

https://www.rhododendron.org/pruning.htm

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”