skiingjeff
Green Thumb

Propagation of Blue Chip Juniper Groundcover

We have a large Blue Chip Juniper ground cover that we want to divide. Is it possible to divide this plant or can you only take cuttings and root them to make new plants?

I am under the understanding that as it grows the ground cover puts down additional roots, evidenced as seen when we are cleaning out leaves and such from the existing one. So can we just take a piece with some roots and plant it elsewhere in the ground and have it grow?

What is the best time of year to do this propagation? Spring if we are just taking a piece and burying it and Fall if we need to take cuttings and root them? :?

Thanks for any insights! :)

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Hi Jeff, I've been thinking the same with a Juniper we have. Re: Putting down roots, lift the arms and see if there are any roots, if so, the branches could be put in potted earth and done like Air rooting, kinda like we would do with fruit trees. I haven't noticed branch rooting, but I haven't lifted every branch, have you seen rooting? Have a good day.

Richard

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

We definitely see the branches are stuck to the ground so we're assuming their rooted. I've never done Air rooting as we don't have fruit trees. Does this just refer to digging up the rooted pieces and potting them? :?

Sorry if this is a really basic question, I just want to be sure I understand how we might proceed.

Thanks! :)

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

I just googled air rooting so now I understand the term. My dad used to do this with forsythia bushes. :)

Thanks!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”