tomc
Super Green Thumb

Witch hazel

Its not really a good candidate for bonsai, tho I did keep one in a tray for many years. it is at the very best a seasonal tree, suitable to bring in to your tokonome only when it is in bloom late in the fall.

Leaves are too too big, internodes need to have both leaf stripping and aggressive pruning to keep the size down to only gigantic.

Oh but that bloom about Columbus day, it is to die-for. Fifty-one weeks a year it is a veritable red-headed step-child. And the other its the belle of the ball.

I am partial to tree that do things. In witch hazel case, its how it distributes seed. WH propels its seed like buck shot. Love that tree.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I have a full size witch hazel planted in the ground that I like. Never thought of it as bonsai material. But mine blooms in very late winter/ early spring. Is that a difference between potted up etc and in the ground?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

There are spring and fall blooming witch hazel. So that could be one out.

I'm guessing yours is a fall bloomer, But its only a guess.

My fall blooming witch hazel used to bloom around Columbus day in Henniker (NH).

applestar
Mod

...I found this thread in the Bonsai Forum, but since the discussion never really was about growing it as a bonsai, I’m going to drag it out to Trees and Shrubs and high-jack it :()

...this morning, I realized my little Witch Hazel which is still in the original pot I bought it at a native plant sale this spring has started to bloom :D

...I couldn’t decide where to plant it, and was vaguely thinking I would plant it by the pond when I finish landscaping around it, but stuff got in the way of finishing that project. I have to figure out where to put it — I doubt I can leave it on the bog-filter gravel....

Is anyone else growing witch hazel? Any insights?

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

not intentionally! we've got lots of it in the woods that overhang our house and stream. all I can say is that they don't seem to mind wet feet or a fair amount of shade.

applestar
Mod

Good to know! Thanks :D

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”