henrylufkin
Newly Registered

Does this tree have a disease?

Can anyone tell me if this tree has a disease? We had a tree, a different kind, that we had to cut down because it was diseased. The tree in the picture, the bark has been peeling for a long time, and some of the needles are turning a rust color. Anyone have any input.......thanks so much
Attachments
IMG_0232.jpg
IMG_0236.jpg
IMG_0235.jpg
IMG_0234.jpg

imafan26
Mod

It looks like it is some kind of juniper. Some junipers do have exfoliating bark, but I cannot tell if it is natural. You would need to identify the tree for that. Many things can cause browning needles. Most of them are fungal diseases. Drought and insects could also be causing it.

How have you cared for this plant?

How often do you water and feed it? If plants are regularly feed and watered they are healthier and will resist disease and insects better.

Many times trees in the landscape are ignored unless there is a problem.

When it rains does water pool in the area? Low spots and poorly draining soil is a problem for many plants. I don't think it is a problem here unless you did some regrading so that now the trunk has been covered or water drains toward the tree.

If the problem is fungal, then cutting out the browned tips and fungicides should work.

henrylufkin
Newly Registered

Honestly I don't know what type of tree it is. It belongs to my grandmother and she's worried about it. I've attached a full picture of the tree. When you say cutting off the brown tips you mean the pines on the limbs that have turn rust? Or peeling off the bark?
Attachments
IMG_0238.jpg

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”