valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Transplanting Datura?

We had a Datura plant, nice size, growing at a rental a mile from here. The renters, who are now gone, tore out the plant. I was happy to see that a plant has started up, about 6" tall, a few feet from where the large plant was.
I'd like to move it here. Do you have any experience moving Datura, are they easily moved?

I can dampen the ground, it's up on the hill, more rocky, gravely, sandy than here.

Richard

catgrass
Green Thumb

They're pretty tough, though I think immediately after transplanting it's going to look real bad. Your plant is probably growing from root left in the ground. Just be sure you get enough root to support your plant. After established, they pretty much let you know when they need water by wilting badly, but do keep it watered while it is getting accustomed to its new place.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Thanks for the quick reply catgrass, you know I may leave it there and not take the chance. Maybe just maybe it will seed this year. Would you know if they fruit the first year? It's pretty far from the plant that was removed 20' or 30'.

Richard

catgrass
Green Thumb

By fruit, I am assuming you mean the seed pod. Yes, if it flowers, it will make the seed pod. I don't know about where you are, but I do know that here when that pod opens and the seeds fling out everywhere, they do re-seed pretty easily. However, this is the first year they did not for me. But, we had an especially cold, wet winter here, and I top dressed rather heavily this spring.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”