RJWest
Newly Registered

Desert Tree Seedlings

I have been growing Desert Tree Seedlings in SC10 Cone-tainers. Has anyone used these? How tall can Tree Seedlings get before they need to be moved to larger containers? What would be the best soil media to use?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't think desert tree is a name of a specific tree variety. The desert plants nursery you linked to lists a number of different desert adapted trees they sell, including mesquite, palo verde, acacia, mimosa, ebony, jacaranda, mountain laurel.

These could have different cultivation requirements, so you need to know what you have. If you don't know (and can't find out from the company), you could post some pictures here and someone might be able to identify it, especially if it isn't too tiny a baby.

RJWest
Newly Registered

Thanks for the reply rainbowgardener,
I do have some Flowering Desert Trees, that need to be identified, but they only have a few mature leaves. I will post some pictures when the seedlings get bigger. The SC10's are 1.5" dia. at the top and about 8" high, and hold 10 cu. in. of soil, they are for allowing the tap root to drive down vertical, without coiling at the bottom, like in seedling pots. I am using soluble triple 20 fertilizer, injected 12oz. per 100 gal. of water. The growing media is 1 Peat, 1 Mulch, 2 Perlite, and 2 coarse sand.

As you posted each variety has a different cultivation requirement, but with automatic watering, and the same media, it's hard to fulfill the requirements for each kind of seedling. That's why I didn't specify, and said Desert Tree Seedlings.
It seems to be hard to get information from other growers, because some feel you are competing against them.

This time of year the daytime temperatures are over 100 degrees, and the seedlings seem to shut down, if placed in full sun. In 80% shade they try to grow but not like in the Greenhouse which is about 20% cooler. They are about 50% larger in the same amount of time. They need the heat, and sun to harden up, when sent to other Nurseries to go in larger containers.

With all the experienced growers on this Site and around the country, I thought I might be able to get some useful information, Thanks for your time! RJ

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”