SpottedPaws
Newly Registered

Planting Mr Bowling Ball Thuga

I'm currently redoing the area in the front of my house. I bought 3 of these bushes that will be placed as foundation bushes under a window. They say to plant them about 2ft apart.

Here's my question. Knowing plants grow towards the light, and placing them against the house, they will only get sun from three sides. Will this cause them to grow away from the house causing a 2 foot space between plant and house? Or will they still grow in a somewhat uniform shape?

How far from the house should I plant them?

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Greetings SpottedPaws, You didn't tell us where you are. Thuga,Thuja, Bowling Ball, is more of a tree than a bush, it likes full light, well drained soil.
So, planting on the shady side of the house in boggy soil or too close to a building, closer than 2.5 - 3 ft isn't a good idea further is better. They can take partial shade.

Let us know where and how you plant them, better yet show us, pictures are nice.

Richard

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

A compact woody shrub like this is not likely to grow noticeably towards the sun.

Some thujas are more tree like, but bowling ball as its name suggests is a small round shrub 2-3' tall and wide at maturity.

The commonest mistake in foundation plantings is putting things too close to the house. Don't plant them any closer than 2'. If your house has eaves, be sure they are not under the eaves, neither the dry shade under them or the boggy wet drip line that can occur if eaves overflow.

They like full sun to part shade, well drained soil (but not dry, they do not tolerate drought well), neutral to somewhat alkaline pH.

Do show us pictures. The next most common foundation planting landscaping mistake is making a small straight row of uniform bushes. Very boring and out of scale with the house behind it.

valley
Greener Thumb

De'ja' vu.

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

:lol: :roll: :>

valley
Greener Thumb

Hi Rose! Yes, all the above.

Richard