pinksand
Greener Thumb

Exploring my Black Locust Trees

Here's what I've learned about black locust trees...

#1 Their sap smells so overwhelmingly putrid that I physically gagged multiple times when pealing the bark from the stump. Apparently it's like catnip for flies and my dog... which is scary because it's also toxic (as well as the seed pods)! I decided to peel all the bark and hope the sap dries out so my dog and the flies will get over all the excitement of this fresh new juicy stump.

#2 Despite the wood being very dense and slow to decay, they're susceptible to heart rot. The stump that remains of our locust has a hole in the center full of dark sawdust-like wood. I'm guessing this may have something to do with why this tree didn't recover from the leafminer attack as well as some others.

#3 Locust Leafminers are like the plague of Maryland! The foliage on all the locust trees in my neighborhood and along the highways is completely brown and stands out like death among the green summer foliage of all the other trees.

Here's a photo of locust leafminers feasting on a sapling in my garden

Pure Evil!

#4 Speaking of saplings, they spread like mad!

#5 They are nitrogen fixing and provide nectar for honeybees

#6 Although I love their delicate leaves, I've decided I'm not such a fan of these trees after all. 3 trees down, about 6 more standing...

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Your chickens would love those Evil weevils.

Richard

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”