Howzit
Newly Registered

Help identify these white spots/crystals?

I have this unknown medium/large sized bush/shrub outside next to my driveway that seems to have these white spots/crystals all over them. From what I can tell, it seems to be damaging it and perhaps stunting its growth. I would say its about ~7 years old (when this home was built).

The best way I can describe the look and perhaps even feel of these spots would be like if you sprinkled fine salt on the leaves. The issue seems to be spreading from when I first noticed it....I'd say almost every leaf now has this infestation.

Oh, I ran my fingers under some water and it appears that I can remove most of it off a lead with relative ease by rubbing and/or slight scraping with my finger nail. (second picture)

Here are some pictures...hope they help. Also, thanks in advance!

Mhasan

Re: Help identify these white spots/crystals?

I'd say you have some type of fungus on the tree.

imafan26
Mod

It is unusual. It looks like salt crystals. Most fungus does not rub off and glossy leaves usually do not get fungus that easily. I would think some kind of scale, but the pattern is unusual and scale would rather be on the undersides and along the midrib.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

applestar
Mod

It's a complete guess since we don't know what this plant is, but maybe this phenomenon is related to this?
Subject: (pics) Small White Crystals on Spinach plant
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”