Lawrence Johnson
Newly Registered

Rose of sharon tree looks like its wilting

Would anyone know why my rose of sharon tree looks like it is wilting?This tree was planted this year and had a erect upright profile. As the buds have swollen and some are opening the tree is wilting , the leaves are still green and the branches are loaded with buds. At the base of the tree impatients have been planted and they require lots of water , is this ,the watering causing this or is something else causing this . If you hold onto a branch they feel real soft and rubber like, with no stiffness at all anyone?

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Rose of Sharon should be a woody plant--not rubbery. Too much water may be the culprit, or only part of the problem. Is the bark intact, or are the branches rotting off of the main trunk? Mine grow in sandy soil and are only watered if we haven't gotten rain in a week. I know the impatiens can't take that, but maybe moving them elsewhere? How big is the ROS?

Happy gardening.
Wingdesigner

Lawrence Johnson
Newly Registered

This rose of sharon was about seven feet tall before it started wilting . I thought that the watering was causing the wilting so I cut back ,with no effect. the tree is still making buds , flowering and the leaves are still nice and green the tree is not rotting.It looks like a weeping willow with flowers, I am waiting for vertical branches to come from the sides of the bent over main branches , this could happen ,as most plants respond this way . I'll keep you all updated

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”