djgoggin
Newly Registered

Rose of Sharon

I have a Rose of Sharon that I have had for about 9 years and it is down to 2 bushes. They are both tall about ten feet or so and they both are very pretty and have many blooms on them, but when I started about 9 years ago I had about 8 bushes and they have slowly died down to these 2. 2 years ago I had 3 really beautiful bushes and then last year when they should have leafed out the one looked dead and never got any leaves or blooms. This year it broke off at the ground. All the other dead ones in the past have done the same thing. Can anyone think of what might be wrong and help me save my 2 remaining bushes before they are gone. The same thing seems to be happening to my lilacs in a different part of my yard. I would really appreciate any suggestions or help.

:(

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

R-o-S is typically a tough plant to kill. I'm thinking something in the soil? Too much water? I think you and the other fellow have us stumped here. Got any photos of the problem?

Wingdesigner

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

Lilacs can be affected by borers so that might explain your lilac issues. To the best of my knowledge, however, this is not a problem for Hibiscus syriacus. If the shrubs were planted too deep or had mulch piled against base it might have created conditions for fungal or bacterial invasions. I have seen canker in the Hibiscus but generally not in the primary stems. If it isn't a planting issue I would agree with wingdesigner that something else about the cultural conditions is amiss, perhaps poor drainage.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

MaineD: I didn't know lilacs could get borers! I thought their only problem was mildew. That's why I like it here--learn somethin' new every time? Thanks!

Happy gardening,
Wing

djgoggin
Newly Registered

:D My Rose of Sharon seems to be doing very well this year. Last year I had put a good deal of mulch around the bushes and had done this the year before. Maybe that was a contributor of the loss of the 3rd bush. I even have sprouts this year! I have been waiting a long time to see them!

Would you suggest that I leave the sprouts where they are or move them so there is less crowding? Also when should I prune it back to control height? Should I prune off small branches low on the trunk?

Thanks for any tips or suggestions. If you can recommend a book for me to get to learn how to take care of it I would also appreciate this.

DG

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”