drh146
Cool Member

crepe myrtle cuttlings

In April I got some cuttings from a particular colored crepe myrtle I wanted, all have rooted, and I've uppotted them once. See below. The large dark green 2 or 3 leaves at the bottom are the originals. Everything else is new and coming fast

So I wonder when to start pulling some bottom leaves off to start making it tree_like. Or if I should loosely tie them to a skewer. Or what to do now to make the cool bush/tree I would like.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

The 30' trees behind my garden there are myrtles that my neighbor planted 10 years ago!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I would just leave them alone for awhile. Once they are ready to get transplanted into bigger pots (which will probably be pretty soon!) you could stake them a little to help keep them straight. Otherwise I would let them have all their leaves for a good while; they are just getting started and leaves are what give them energy.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Your cuttings are doing very well. I hope your cups have drainage. when you start seeing root development transplant to a larger pot - 1 gallon. You will probably need to transplant again before winter. Don't fertilize until next spring. that would push foliage growth and sacrifice root development. Wait until they are 3' tall and either in a 5 gallon bucket or in the ground before starting to shape the tree. Don't be too concerned about staking them. Putting a stake in the container will damage the delicate root system. Turn them every few days so all sides get the same amount of light. They leaders are tender. They will straighten as they develop.

I love crepe myrtles. Which ones do you have? My favorite is Dynamite- the only TRUE red crepe myrtle - fire engine red. One of the smaller trees - 12'-15' tall X 10'-12' wide. Another favorite is Natchez - Large (25'-30' tall) with a snow white bloom.

When they are ready to be transplanted into the ground make sure to allow for mature size. Dig your hole no deeper then the root ball but 3 or 4 times wider - a $5 hole for a .50 plant. Don't amend the soil and don't fertilize or prune until it has been in the ground for a year. It needs that time in the ground to develop an extensive root system.

I am going to edit and post a link on proper pruning techniques for crepe myrtles. It makes me crazy to see "crepe murder" committed on these beautiful trees.

https://www.lsuagcenter.com/news_archive ... efully.htm

BTW - if you have a deep color don't plant it where the blooms will fall on the concrete or a vehicle - it will stain.

Good luck

drh146
Cool Member

Wow, thanks for all the great info! So even side shoots leave alone? Because they all have those now too.

They are clippings from a deep red colored one. Its the only one I could find last year that looked like actually red, not deep pink.
I don't know of its one of the only actual red ones, but it looked to me.me.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

If your intention is to eventually plant in the ground then you need to identify the plant so you can allow for mature size. You could ask whoever owns the parent plant if they know.

Good luck

drh146
Cool Member

Well I thought id update this because things are still going very well. I uppotted them once since the above on June 14th. I clipped/started them on Apr 24.
After seeing the mother plant, I'm not sure it is the serious red one. I think its the darkest pink though....
And I think I found red trees to start from next year :-)

drh146
Cool Member

Here's an update.
Can anyone give me direction, or tell me where I can find direction in starting to prune these into trees?

imafan26
Mod

You will have to grow them out a while. When they get bigger, you will need to identify your strongest and straightest trunk and prune out the other side shoots. If you prune too early they will just bush out more where you cut it. I don't start removing suckers from my standards until they are three or four feet tall. Once you start to shape you need to remove any suckers from the base or appear on the lower trunk so that all the energy goes to the top. Keep the plants in the sun so that they grow straight and don't top until you are ready to prune. Once the leader is cut, the canopy will start to spread. I only stake if the stems are growing crooked and that mostly happens because light is coming mostly from one side.

I have one crepe myrtle called Little Chief. It is over ten years old in a pot and it is less than 5 ft tall. It also does not set seeds which is a problem with other crepe myrtles that are used as street trees. Mine has been trained to a standard.

drh146
Cool Member

Thanks for the good info!
Are the pots they are in a good size to get them to 3 or 4 feet high? Or should I uppot at some point.
Also, what is the low temp the plants in pots can handle in the winter, or should I just bring them in for the whole winter?

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”