Panderoni
Newly Registered

Dying Plant Help!

Hi there. I live in zone 9 and am having major troubles with my California Lilac shrubs. I planted these three a few months ago. The left one is alive, middle is half alive, and right completely dead. I can't seem to figure it out. Any help?
Attachments
image.jpg

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Hi, These are slowly dying, I have to think it's something in the soil or conditions the plants are subject to. I'm sure you're seeing that they get enough water and not too much, are they watered regularly and evenly, it seems like the problem is moving from our right to the left. Did you add the soil to the planter?
I'd like to know the answer to this one. Give us some answers and we'll hear what others have to say. Have a fine day.

Richard

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sorry, but I think it is a disease that is spreading.

"Pests & Diseases: Ceanothus can attract aphids, mealybugs and scale, though they’re not thought to be particularly prone to these pests. Fungal diseases can occur if given too much water in summer or if not properly drained. They have a reputation of being somewhat short-lived (< ten years), but it is thought that this is more due to poor placement when planting (over–rich soil, over–irrigating) rather than something intrinsic in the plant itself." https://portlandnursery.com/plants/nativ ... thus.shtml

On the other hand, if you are in one of the places that had a long hard winter, it could just be winter burn. That is wind/frost damage from the winter, but often doesn't really show up until it warms up again: "The resulting symptoms, discolored or "burned" foliage, tend to show up quickly in spring, when days are sunny and warm." https://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014 ... burn-plant

https://hyg.ipm.illinois.edu/photos/boxw ... erburn.jpg

sorry, I looked back and realized you said zone 9. That makes it a lot less likely to be winterburn and more likely to be some kind of disease.

In another garden forum (which I am not allowed to reference here), I found a question about ceanothus browning. Someone suggested that they are sensitive to wind burn/scorch from windy conditions and then there was this:

They do this. It is a feature. I asked a leading nurseryman (retired) for an explanation - he said it 5-7 years is the most you can expect. And yet I know of seed-raised ones over a hundred years old.

This makes me think that the vegetatively propagated ones sold in garden centre might be carrying a disease. Seeds tend to leave diseases behind in the parent. I can find no evidence to support my guess however and have not got myself organised to sow some seeds.

valley
Greener Thumb

rainbow, Can you give us an idea of the disease? Should he pull the plants or spray.
I don't think these plants are dying from old age, like the retired guy suggested.
Could it be a infestation, something eating the skin off the roots?

Richard

valley
Greener Thumb

Panderoni, Let us know what you've found out and decided. Thanks

Richard

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”