pinksand
Greener Thumb

Re: Replacement Tree Suggestions

One thing I saw mentioned was that they prefer moist soil. Since this location is very well draining, that has me a bit worried. I noticed one in a garden I pass by often that was absolutely stunning in full bloom... maybe March. It received full sun and was about the size I'd like for the space, however judging by the bloom time I'm guessing it was an Asian variety.

I've also considered not putting a tree there at all because it does get messy, but I love the intimate feeling it creates on the patio. What do you think?

applestar
Mod

How is the fireblight and cedar-apple rust situation in your area? If not terribly rampant, hawthorn might be another option. I bought and planted one before I was fully educated in native vs. non-native plant selections wildlife habitats, and I have the feeling mine is NOT native. It's NOT thorny and it doesn't fruit ( I suspect it's one of those "ornamental" cultivars :roll: ), but I originally wanted one because I read that hummingbirds like to nest in them.

Unfortunately, they have not considered my hawthorn to be worthy. :(
However, cardinals and robins have nested in the upper branches, and I have a birdhouse mounted on it that has been home to house wrens, chickadees, and house sparrows.

NatureHillsNursery
Cool Member

You have a lovely patio. Thanks for sharing the photos. Since it seems you may be concerned with mess, I’d suggest the Japanese Maple. You’ll have limited mess to deal with, and they have lovely color (the Bloodgood variety specifically). The Japanese Maple is hardy, easy to prune and has leaves that I consider ornamental in shape. Most of all though, it’s very colorful—shades of red all the time! Good luck in making your choice. There are certainly lots of trees to choose from!

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Ah I love both suggestions, although looking online it does sound like fire blight is a problem in our area. I particularly love the wildlife draw the hawthorn provides, although I'm not a fan of thorns.

I'd never considered a hawthorn before, but reading about them I'd really like to give one a try. My side garden where we're removing another tree next year might be a better location. I'd planned on putting a redbud there, but now I wonder if I can swap them. Someone mentioned redbuds being messy. How much mess are we talking about? I don't mind sweeping up some seed pods from the patio and pulling a few seedlings. Do they spread excessively? If so, I might be better off planting one near where we can mow around it.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It takes a few years, but once a redbud is well established, it drops a lot of seed pods and pops up a lot of seedlings. Redbud seedlings are kind of a weed in my yard.

applestar
Mod

In addition to the seed pods, I think the minus with redbud is the unexpectedly large heart shaped leaves.

What about halesia -- Carolina bells? White is the species but there are pink cultivars.

But ...you are in one zone warmer than I am plus the brick patio should provide a bit of protective micro climate -- Are you sure you don't want fig or Japanese persimmon? I'm just north of most winter hardy cultivars for those, though I'm giving Chicago Hardy a try against the Southwest facing house wall, and I'm hoping to get cuttings from a known hardy tree in an area actually to the north of me. I'm also growing an American-Russian hybrid persimmon -- but its fruits are not the nice big ones like a Japanese.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

I'd never heard of halesia, but it sounds like it would be a really nice fit! There's also something about white flowers that is just to classic! My sister in law is going to take me to a tree farm near her house at some point, so I'll have to see if they have them!

I have a co-worker with a persimmon tree that has done very well here. However, they're highly toxic to dogs and my puppy thinks anything round is a ball to chew and play with. I'd just rather not have to worry, so anything I know is toxic that I think he'd be drawn to, I try to keep outside of the fence. I'll have to look into fig trees to! I love fresh figs in my salad :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

how big a tree are you looking for? I think the silverbells are beautiful, but I have never planted one, because they get too big for my yard.

Height: 30.00 to 40.00 feet

Spread: 20.00 to 35.00 feet

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Hm... that's a good point, it might be a bit big for the space. There was a black locust there so the space should accommodate that size, but the height of the locust made me nervous being on a slope with our house so close. Something ornamental might look more appropriate.

Now that you've mentioned the redbuds sprouting like weeds, I see them everywhere in my neighborhood! I've always loved their heart shaped leaves and pretty spring blooms, but now I'm hesitant to plant them anywhere!

I never thought deciding on a tree for this space would be so difficult!

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Sorry to bring this up again, I feel like my head is spinning with all these options.

Having grown up in Colorado, my absolute favorite tree is the aspen. I had one outside my bedroom window growing up and used to climb it and wiped the bark powder (bloom) on my face as a natural sunscreen when hiking. However, considering I NEVER see them here I'm assuming they don't do well here in MD. I also love Paper birch for that beautiful white peely bark and I'd absolutely love one off the patio, but I don't know that its need for moisture will be met, nor that the size would be appropriate. The peeling bark had me thinking though...

I happened to see a paperbark maple at a nursery the other day and was drawn to the bark for winter interest. Does anyone have any experience with this tree or have any other suggestions for trees with interesting bark? I guess the crepe myrtle would absolutely suit this as well. I just already have one nearby and would like something different.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”