wvudarling
Newly Registered

rose of sharon pruning question

I recently bought a house with a pretty large rose of sharon bush. It blooms beautifully and I am told they can be difficult to grow, but it also blocks my sidewalk such that I have to walk through the yard on my way in and out of the house. My question is, does anyone know anything about pruning rose of sharons? Can I prune it while it is in bloom, or is there a specific time of year that this should be done? I am very worried about hurting the plant, but when I also don't like myself and guests having to walk through the yard all the time (especially if it is wet or snowy). Thanks for any help you can give me!!

Michelle

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi :D

Hibiscus can be hard pruned in the Spring.

gardens20
Newly Registered

wvudarling, You must have solved your problem by now. If so, you are now finding new rose of sharons springing up all over the place. I have found this to be the case and that I don't like. :( I find that there is no need to be hesistant about cutting them back - they respond very well. :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Rose of Sharon is not usually hard to grow, in fact it can be quite an aggressive spreader. It sends out shoots from the roots, turning in to a big colony and popping up in pretty widely spread places. You have to be pretty vigilant about getting rid of all the shoots that pop up if you don't want it to take over your yard (and your neighbor's!). It's hard to hurt them.

biwa

For heavy pruning, wait until the tree has no leaves. Fall or very early spring/late winter should be fine.

Minor "haircut" type pruning can be done anytime.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”