opp2

junipers

OK, so I replanted two really poor specimenst last August and the new ones are/were beautiful 6 footers. They stayed nice all winter, however now one has hundreds of yellow/green branches on it. But it is also shooting lots of new silver blue branches as well. What are your thoughts that the green/yellow are transplant shock and will come back? I'm not going to remove it anyway, as it is guaranteed until next August, however I'm curious if anyone knows.

I have a guy coming over to prune and I spoke to him on the phone. He says they could suffer transplant shock for up to 5 years. Do we think the yellow/green is transplant shock?

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Opp2,

So did the pruning person give you any insight into the problem? I suspect an already stressed plant was the beginning of the problem.
I replanted two really poor specimenst last August...
Newt

opp2

Yes, I waited the remainder of the summer and the tree didn't thrive. I still have it but the nursery came out at the beginning of September and have agree to replant that tree in the spring. They didn't want to plant this fall as it's been a tough year here in the Greater Toronto Area.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Glad to hear you will have a replacement and thanks for getting back to me.

Newt

opp2

Newt wrote:Hi Opp2,

So did the pruning person give you any insight into the problem? I suspect an already stressed plant was the beginning of the problem.
I replanted two really poor specimenst last August...
Newt
Sorry Newt, that seems poorly worded now that I read it again. The tree that is going to be removed is one of two that was put in to replace the really poor specimens they sent the first time.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Oh, I see now. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

Newt

opp2

After all this time, I finally had the poor wichita replaced today by the nursery. Perseverance pays off I guess. By the time they came today the tree had nice blue on the bottom half, and the tip, but big empty holes where it had died back inside and at the back. Too bad really.

I had a devil of a time with the replacement. The nursery offered me a 5ft replacement for my original 6ft purchase. The mate to the original wichita is now 7ft 6 inches tall...you can imagine how I felt about that.

They looked around and asked if I could wait until next spring. I finally decided to put in a different tree all together.

This afternoon they brought my new purple smoke tree. I now have a small trio of witchita, purple smoke and a burning bush. I think it will look pretty cool once they all mature in the next couple of years.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”