Mari C
Newly Registered

Crepe Myrtle shoots/new growths .... what to do ??

We have just had our backyard landscaped 1month ago & I have NO gardening knowledge at all :o but trying to learn .... (lived in city all my life :( )

Background: They (the landscapers) planted 5 Crepe Myrtles in a row, which seem to be loving life, blooming etc - close to one, there are two shoots, which are like 'mini-trees' also blooming :D (presume is good !!)

Questions: Are they part of the tree or independent, will I upset the main tree if I investigate ? Should I leave them or cut them off, if so can I cultivate cuttings as new trees & if so where do I plant them, I couldn't put them in the trash ?

Sorry if this seems idiotic, I have no idea, I did search but if I should be posting elsewhere pls do let me know (there are a lot more newbie questions to follow :oops: ) !!

dorothydot

Hi,

Crepe myrtles are shrubs, meaning they have several "trunks" coming out of the ground. And yes, they do put out new ones. It's the nature of the beasts.

Since your plants have only been in the ground for about one month, my suggestion would be to let them have the rest of this growing season to acclimate and adjust to their new environment. Next year you can check things out more, perhaps.

Mari C
Newly Registered

Thank you,
Sounds like a good plan, I shall leave them be for now then !

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”