spnj40
Newly Registered

Help with glossy abelia

Hello,

I bought three glossy abelia last year (late September) and got them in the ground in the first week of October. I'm in zone 6 by the way. All three plants lost their leaves in the winter. It's my understanding that they normally keep their leaves but maybe it's because i got them in the ground so late. All three are growing leaves back but at a very slow pace. Two are in more direct sun than the other one. Those seem to be doing better. At this point should I cut back any branches that do not have leaves or should I just let these go through the season and see what happens? From everything I have read if I were to cut back any of the dead branches I should have done that already. Thoughts?

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Re: Help with glossy abelia

I have 1 'confetti' and 3 'kaleidoscope' and all of them dropped their leaves this past winter in zone 7. The prior winter I only had the 'confetti' and it did hold onto its leaves but they were a bit dull and on especially cold days they were very wilty. I think their evergreen nature is more common in warmer zones. Looking online sometimes they're listed as evergreen or semi-evergreen. I'd say they're much more on the "semi" side and probably closer to deciduous in zone 6.

As far as what to do at this point, I'd just let them be this year, unless they have horribly unsightly die back. Mine now have leaves on most branches but it took time for them to fill back in. I personally plan to trim out any dead branches early next spring and will leave mine alone this year.
USDA Zone 7a, Sunset Zone 32
"The earth laughs in flowers" -Ralph Waldo Emerson

spnj40
Newly Registered

Re: Help with glossy abelia

Pinksand,

Thank you for your reply. I will leave them be and see what happens. My situation seems to be the same as yours in that they are slowly starting to fill back in. I'll just make sure they are getting enough water and see how it goes. Thanks again.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”