Swedish gardener
Newly Registered

How to make childrens hidey hole, maybe willow?

We want to create a living den/hidey hole for our kids. I have a picture in my mind- a fun and secretive place to make mud pies in!! I'm thinking an almost complete circle with the shrubs making up the circle possibly meeting at the top, in the centre to create a roof. Any ideas on what I can use? I've been thinking on willow, but how dense does that get? I don't want to be able to see straight through it. I am grateful for any ideas.

Jess
Greener Thumb

Willow does make a wonderful den but it takes some managing to stop it turning into fully grown trees. Check this site out for how to go about it.
https://www.organicgardening.org.uk/factsheets/gg37.php

Alternatively you could use several clump forming bamboos planted in a circle and tie in the tops so you would have a tepee effect. I have seen structures made for kids with both willow and bamboo. Both work well but it does depend on how much space you have and how much money you want to spend. Bamboo; more expensive but faster results.
Willow; cheaper but more maintenance and you have to wait a year for it to establish.
Whichever you decide please come back and post a picture. Sure sounds like great fun! :D

Swedish gardener
Newly Registered

Thanks so much for the info. I went straight out and bought some beautiful bamboo plants and set my husband to work digging out a circle in our lawn. The plants cost about ...£13 so I bought 5 and split them as they were quite large. A bit more digging and watering and hey presto! A hidey hole. Well not really yet, it's obviously got to grow a bit yet, but we're pleased with the results. Do you know how long it will take for the plants to reach their full 3 metres? Hopefully I have attatched a photo for you here....
[url=https://img504.imageshack.us/my.php?image=littlehideyholezh3.jpg][img]https://img504.imageshack.us/img504/2861/littlehideyholezh3.th.jpg[/img][/url]
Thanks again for the help!! :D

Jess
Greener Thumb

Wow! Not hanging about then?! :lol:
Depends on the variety as to how fast they will grow and of course how tall your children are. :D

They will spend the first few years thickening the root system underground as you have split them and they like to be in a thick clump before growing taller but your children should have a half decent den in about 3 years. Is that going to be soon enough? How old are they now?

Swedish gardener
Newly Registered

I am glad we got it done now as it's rained constantly since that day. :cry: My kids are 4 and 1, so yes we can wait a while. I've been
pouring on the fertiliser to try to get things going. Some sun wouldn't go a miss......Thanks again for help

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”