laughing.stone
Newly Registered

Mystery Tree

I just moved into a new home and need some help identifying this tree/shrub in the front yard. It seems to be doing well in the hot, humid weather. The photos were taken in late June, in Raleigh, NC. I have not seen any flowers or fruit but I've only been here a few weeks.

[url=https://picasaweb.google.com/laughing.stone.path/MysteryTree?authkey=eiIwAIeaMOs]Mystery Tree[/url]

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Laughing Stone,

Congratulations on your new home! I was wondering if you were ever able to id your tree? I'm thinking it might be some type of flowering ornamental fruit, possibly apple or plum.

Newt

laughing.stone
Newly Registered

Newt wrote:Hi Laughing Stone,

Congratulations on your new home! I was wondering if you were ever able to id your tree? I'm thinking it might be some type of flowering ornamental fruit, possibly apple or plum.

Newt
Thank you. It has been such a joy settling in. I did find out what type of tree I have. It's a crabapple - probably a heavy blooming type since it produced very little fruit (which took me over a month to find). While flipping through a home improvement book I noticed a special article just for crabapples and realized that's what I had. I'm looking forward to Spring when I find out what color the flowers are.

Best wishes,
Shannon

Newt
Greener Thumb

Shannon, thanks for getting back to me. Glad to know I was on the right track with the ornamental apple. If the fruit was very small the birds are better able to eat them, so that may be why you didn't find much. Of course a late frost could have killed the buds too.

Hope you like the flower color next year.
Newt

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”