Wooly
Newly Registered

How Do I Get Rid Of 50 Year Old Giant Azaleas?

Hi, I have acquired a piece of property that has literally been taken over by improperly placed azaleas. Most all of these plants were planted back in the 1960's and have completely taken over the backyard. Some of them are at least 7 to 8 feet tall if not more, and the trunks on some of the largest ones are probably 9" in diameter. I have been cutting the ones that I plan to keep back to about 12" tall, with my loppers these past couple of weeks, and hauling the brush away. (what a job)! Now I am calling out my chainsaw for the heavyweights.

There is a group of the biggest ones that have taken over an area where I want to build on to my storage shed, and I would like to know how I can effectively kill this particular group without digging them up, and causing water runoff problems. If I dig them up, roots and all, that will cause the the yard to erode, and create ruts when we get a big rain storm, because of the way that the yard slopes.

Would a strong mixture of salty water poured around the roots kill them, after I cut them back to ground level? Or, does anyone have a better idea, as to how I can get rid of these high maintenance invasive things and have my beautiful lawn back, not to mention my flowers, and a bigger shed to store my tools in?

p/s I live in Zone 8 if that makes a difference

Thanks for any help

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I would post your offer to have them collected on Craig's List, and freecycle.

Paying to remove a large azalea could be spendy. if somebody else will dig them, let 'em get them by sweat equity...

applestar
Mod

I suspect you'll want to get more information before chopping down any more. If these giant shrubs'/trees' roots are holding your soil together, weakening them may result in what you are describing as your concerns -- erosion problems. Remember what happened in New Orleans?

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”