jenza
Newly Registered

Identify a tree

hi, my local gardening centre was stymied by my tree - can you help identify it? It's about 10 ft tall, no berries or flowers or tassles, it has serrated leaves - I have two pics at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/10177726@N03/
Jen

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi jenza :D

It looks like it might be an evergreen Quercus (oak.) I don't know which one though as there are several. Have you noticed any acorns at all?

jenza
Newly Registered

Hi Jess,
Thanks for your response - no, no acorns. From another source - they think it's a Curtisia dentata - a tree native to Southern Africa, called colloquially an Assegai tree, as local lore has it it was used to make assegais!
Jen

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

The leaves and white stems look suspiciously like the tall form of Oregon grape holly. It will have yellow flowers and blue berries, and the leaves are very prickly. I don't know if the male plants do the flowers/berries thing. I have the dwarf version and it does. Sound familiar? Am I close?
Happy gardening
Wingdesigner

jenza
Newly Registered

I've only lived with the tree for 3 months, but it hasn't had any flowers or berries as of yet... I've had a look at photos of the Oregon grape holly, and it looks like it's more shrub-like and smaller than my tree... but you're right, the leaves do look very similar, Jen

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”