evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Viburnum suckers are a problem

Hey all

I need some help. I have a sweet viburnum that suckers continuously. How do stop this? The suckers are from above ground at the base of the trunk.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

So what I want to know is how to stop a tree from growing branches from the bottom?

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

No answers :(

Can I paint around the tree? Would it work and not harm the tree generally (except the sucker of course)?

applestar
Mod

I honestly don't think you can keep them from suckering. Viburnums are clump-forming shrubs by nature. I was hoping someone else knew something different. :|

When you cut, be sure to take the entire shoot close to the surface and don't leave any stubs like you are showing in the photo. Sometimes, it's better to take a young shoot and pull it off sideways -- this takes away the collar that new buds can grow from. But. I think this technique depends on whether you need to worry about disease getting in the rough scar....

...oh, just re-read your last post... Paint with what?

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Oh just by the way the long stems were just for the photo so you could see past the leaves to the problem although it is very difficult to get close too.

So far I don't think I have gotten any disease in the scars in almost ten years but I can't pull even young shoots off by hand :(

I want to use paint. Kind of a last resort really but I am not sure if it would hurt the tree. I thought a layer like that might prevent budding. I got the idea from seeing fruit trees painted white near the bottom. (Yes I now know why they paint them)0

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”