Rukia
Newly Registered

Help - is this Japanese Knotweed

Hi,

What plant is this please? A friend said it was Jap Knotweed and I was like whatt??

Your advice will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

GEOSAN

Not Japanese Knotweed. It does not vine. Your plant is more similar to Field Bindweed. Please include your zone/region where you are to help us with a more accurate identification. At any rate, it's not Knotweed.

Rukia
Newly Registered

Thanks George.

The house is in chatham, Kent, uk. A House we are in the process of purchasing and then stumbled across this. ....panic!
Thanks again

applestar
Mod

It could be : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynanchum_laeve

Do they have opposite leaves (it doesn't look it from the photos actually)? Does it have milky sap if your break off a leaf?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

you don't think it is common bindweed? I get that all over the place. It is related to morning glory and gets morning glory shaped flowers, but smaller and white.

applestar
Mod

Bindweed in my garden have smaller leaves -- these look like big leaves using the bricks as reference scale. Maybe there are larger leafed ones?

Rukia
Newly Registered

Hi all,

Thanks for your time on this.

No sap and the leafs are zig zag opposite each other, if that makes sense.

From these posts I don't need to worry about it and can proceed with my purchase

Would be great to know out of interest what it actually is, if possible

Many thanks,

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Hopefully it's not Polygonum! That stuff can travel under a road and pop up on the other side.

NatureHillsNursery
Cool Member

It reminds me of a Morning Glory-type weed…but I can’t really say for sure. I have a lot of it around here, and once it gets started, that’s it. You’ll be fighting it forever. Years ago I didn’t have it, but my kids (when they were little), would bring me the tiny, white flowers as gifts in their school backpacks. Over time, I think some seeds found their way to my gardens—and now it’s a constant battle.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

NatureHillsNursery wrote:It reminds me of a Morning Glory-type weed…but I can’t really say for sure. I have a lot of it around here, and once it gets started, that’s it. You’ll be fighting it forever. Years ago I didn’t have it, but my kids (when they were little), would bring me the tiny, white flowers as gifts in their school backpacks. Over time, I think some seeds found their way to my gardens—and now it’s a constant battle.

Bindweed is basically wild morning glory and it has the small white, morning glory shaped flowers.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

this stuff is NOT Japanese knotweed:

https://www.elmbridge.gov.uk/images/elmb ... otweed.jpg

but it is a an aggressive invasive weed

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”