thehappiestquack
Newly Registered

Dwarf umbrella tree with weird "pods" in the soil.

So I've recently acquired a dwarf umbrella tree. My uncle passed away recently and the tree had been given to us by a family friend for the funeral and the tiny tree was bestowed to me. So I'm a bit attached to it. And am not sure where it came from or where it was before it came to me.

I've had the tree a couple weeks and it seems to be growing quite nicely and I figured I should move it to a bigger pot. When I took it out I found these weird pods on each side. They seem to be directly across from each other and I really want to know what they are. Should I get rid of them and check the rest of the soil before replanting?

I cut one open and all this mucusy looking stuff came out.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Attachments
photo 1(1).JPG
photo 2(1).JPG
Last edited by thehappiestquack on Sun May 18, 2014 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thehappiestquack
Newly Registered

Sorry for my Typo! *Dwarf umbrella tree :?

applestar
Mod

I think they might be fertilizer balls of Chinese origin. Was there any chemical fertilizer kind of smell when you cut it open?

thehappiestquack
Newly Registered

applestar wrote:I think they might be fertilizer balls of Chinese origin. Was there any chemical fertilizer kind of smell when you cut it open?
I didn't notice any smell.. though I have a poor sense of smell. It's brown liquid and the balls do stay relatively together once it pops. Sorry it's that's not any more helpful.

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Look like some kind of eggs to me, but I'm sorry, I don't know what kind.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”