Christoff
Newly Registered

acer tree lost all leaves

My acer tree has lost all its leaves overnight they have just wilted and dropped off there are new shoots on the brances so I don't think it is dead but would like to know why this has happened

plantman56
Newly Registered

Trees loose leaves because of stress. If they are not getting enough water they react by dropping leaves. Also recently applied lawn chemicals, fertilizer, weed killers etc - in excess may also be the reason for sudden leaf loss.
You do not mention what type of Acer. The type of maple ( like Japanese Maples) are more sensitive to water and soil conditions that say a Norway maple.

At this point there is little to do but wait - Using your fingernail scratch the bark and look for a green layer. It will indicate some life left in the tree. Move the mulch around the tree and check the soil - if it is dry - water the plant well. If it is wet allow to dry before waterering again
Mike

opp2

It's been incredibly dry here in southern ontario. Yesterday I found my amur maple had a number of yellow leaves on it, with brown patches. It was also drooping. I thought I'd been watering it enough, however I watered it and then it rained here 20mm. The tree is standing right up straight now. I hope that it holds the rest of of it's leaves, but maybe, if you're weather has been like ours, water might be the answer.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”