pinksand
Greener Thumb

Transplanting Serviceberry

I planted a serviceberry tree last winter. We had a fence installed since the time it was planted and I'd like to relocate the serviceberry to a space that makes a bit more sense in relation to the fence and where it will get a bit more sun. It's currently about 2ft tall and has leafed out. I know that winter would be ideal for transplanting this guy, but I'd like to transplant the little guy before his roots have time to establish themselves this season. I figured that now might result in less root damage. Should I just hold off until winter or do you think the little tree would transplant okay now?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I'd wait, but failing that take as big of a dirt ball as you can & move the plant promptly to a prepared new hole.

Water it in generously. Water liberally at least weekly when its not raining. Like fill a leaky trash can and let is dribble out uphill from your amelancher.

NatureHillsNursery
Cool Member

I would wait if you could, but it sounds like you can’t…so as the previous poster said, I’d dig as big a hole as possible and water, water, water. I don't have experience with Serviceberry trees, but I do move a lot of things when I'm not supposed to. I find that as long as you take as big a chunk of roots/dirt as possible and keep it watered, plants will generally respond. Good luck!

pinksand
Greener Thumb

I've decided to be patient and wait :) This location is far from my garden hose so it's not worth the possible loss from transplanting and neglecting it. I have trouble finding serviceberries locally so it just isn't worth the risk to move it now.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”