tchlleaf
Newly Registered

Laurels are not growing very well

I have recently planted some laurels and they not appear to be growing very well. I have been feeding them with Richard Jackson's flower power and it doesn't appear to be working. I read on a forum that Epsom salts help and have been feeding the laurels with this for two weeks, 1 feed every 7 days. There is a tree next door and they also have a pond so I'm assuming they are causing the problem. I really need these laurels to grow as my garden has no privacy! Please help.

imafan26
Mod

Re: Laurels are not growing very well

Laurels don't grow very fast, what kind are they. I only grow bay laurel and it is incredibly slow, but I expect that.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

NatureHillsNursery
Cool Member

I'm not sure where you’re located, but Laurels may not be the best choice if you want a quick privacy screen. There are several types of evergreens, for example, that are far better suited to that purpose. I would suggest trying one of those.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

tchlleaf wrote:I have recently planted some laurels and they not appear to be growing very well. I have been feeding them with Richard Jackson's flower power and it doesn't appear to be working. I read on a forum that Epsom salts help and have been feeding the laurels with this for two weeks, 1 feed every 7 days. There is a tree next door and they also have a pond so I'm assuming they are causing the problem. I really need these laurels to grow as my garden has no privacy! Please help.
Don't feed your shrub flower power, nutrient balance is all wrong for it. Get some tree and shrub fertilizer spikes and bury them as deep in the ground as you can. And then don't add anything else until fall.

I agree with what's been said that laurels are in general very slow growing and not a good choice for a quick privacy screen.

Are these sweet bay/ bay laurel? If so, they are pretty tolerant of a variety of soils, though they like it well draining. If they are kalmia (mountain laurel, bog laurel, etc), they require a quite acid soil.

I really didn't understand what you said about your neighbor's tree and pond "causing the problem." How could they cause your laurel not to grow well?
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

ener
Newly Registered

I think the weather is very important, because I have one laurel and I have leaves for my meals throughout the year. I live in a Mediterranean climate (Spain). It grows up so much every year and is like a plague with its seeds germinating around the ground.
I mustache you a question, but I'll shave it for later.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”