jack76590
Newly Registered

Blue spruce tree going brown

I have two blue spruce trees and they are crowding each other. Some branches losing needles and going brown. Seems major problem is where they are growing together or not getting sunlight. Note a lot of blue spruces in area having similar problems. I am in SE Pa.

I put white paper and tapped needle on good parts of tree and found some spider mites - at least I think that is what they are from talking to nursery store people. They are small, like dot of pen, hard to see until they move. Trees are about 35 feet tall and I hate to hose down with pesticides as they can kill good insects as well as bad. I put in some tree spike, esp made for evergreens and high in acid. May wait and see if this helps.

I would appreciate suggests and advise. Thanks.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Are the branches involved located where the two trees meet? Is the brown only on the growing tips? You may have a borer problem. Systemics take a while to work. Keep talking to the nursery folks if they seem like they're knowledgeable. Or perhaps the foreman/supervisor of your city parks & rec dept., may know of a problem in your area. Good luck.

Happy gardening,
Wingdesigner

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”