fairdinkum17
Newly Registered

Help please! Whats wrong with my maple tree?!

Hi All!,

I'm new to this forum and would love some help identifying what is wrong with my Autumn Glory Maple (Acer Rubrum).

I currently live in warm, sunny Brisbane Australia, and we easing into our fall weather. Unfortunately, for the past 2 months, my leaves have turned brown and discoloured. Its currently in a big pot, located in sun from dawn to about 1pm then gets shade the rest of the day. I am currently watering it every other day (hot weeks everyday).

Can anyone help me identifying why it has turned brown? Is it getting too much water? Sun scorched? Or could it be an internal sickness?

Thanks for your help!
Attachments
20140501_085154 copy.jpg
20140501_085200.jpg

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Um, could it be fall?

applestar
Mod

Hmm... I think Acer rubrum should have red fall color, shouldn't it?

I think it needs more water. In my area, the native red maple is a wet area tree that tolerates flooding.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

fairdinkum - my first thought is that you need a bigger pot. 10-15 gallons. When you transplant check the rots - are they wrapped around the root ball? If so Loosen and trim before re-potting. Do not plant any deeper than the existing root ball. Monitor your water. When you re-pot mix 2 parts soil with 1 part compost. Inspect the underside of the leaves and the leaf junctions for insects.

Good luck.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”