KelCo35
Newly Registered

Help with Pin Oak- worms and dying leaves

Hello~ I need help with my pin oaks! I am in zone 5, very upper west of Missouri. We had 2 pin oaks moved from some of our farmground to our yard early this spring. They are young trees, probably no taller than 20 ft. high, and moved by a professional tree mover. He also oversaw the size of the holes dug and depth in planting. Trees have been spoiled- mulched, watered, root stimulator, and fertilized. As the leaves began to bud out this spring, we had a pretty bad frost. Some trees didn't make it, plants lost all blooms, etc. These trees went ahead and produced leaves, although very small. Now I see the leaves are very brown, crisp and turning under on the ends, and periodically there are those brown lacy spots. Today I found a worm, dark green and what my kids call an inch worm because of how it moves. Is this a bag worm? Or a gypsy moth larvea? Is this what is causing the brown edges and small leaves? I've been trying to research, can't find answers. Also- should I get some iron plugs for them? They are obviously stressed. We haven't had good luck with trees, and I am fighting to the end for these beauties! Any idea, please let me know. Thanks!

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi Kelco :D

Firstly you mentioned obtaining iron plugs for them. Is your soil acidic? They need to be planted in acid, moist to wet soil to do well.
Secondly about the addition of fertilizer etc. when still young. Not a good idea. Check this site for info on caring for young trees.
https://www.rhs.org.uk/learning/research/climate_change/trees_tips.asp

and thirdly could it be leafminer damage? They do attack a lot of different trees. Check this site for details. https://extension.osu.edu/~news/story.php?id=2911

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

Given the available information any responses here will just be a guess. My recommendation would be to ask around for the best arborist in the area, ideally someone with at least a BS in forestry or horticulture.
Pin oaks have the reputation of being one of the easiest oaks to move but IME no oak is a cinch to move. From what I can tell from your post you did all the right things: moved the trees in early spring (March?), had them professional dug - presumably with a large tree spade, and kept them watered.
What is your soil like: clay? sandy? loam? Was the soil significantly different between the original location and the new planting site?
What is the diameter of the trunks measured at one foot and four feet off the ground? Given that information I can give you a guide to what size tree spade should have been used but it will only be useful for future reference.

Good luck. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”