SOB
Green Thumb

Emerald Green Arborvitae...but taller

I am looking for a tree/hedge like the Emerald Green Arborvitae but about 5 feet taller. The EGA is nice and almost exactly what I'm looking for - a nice visual break, tall (12-15'), skinny (3-4') - but I would REALLY like something around 20-25 feet tall. In brief, 15 feet would block the unsightly neighbor area and but I need about 20' to block their bright light (which lights up me and their unsightly area). Also, I could go wider than 3-4', maybe up to 10-15' max width but that's about it and I would like to keep it thinner.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The skyrocket juniper is similar very tall and narrow, but listed at 15-20'

https://www.evergreenplantnursery.com/Sk ... unsky2.htm

it's the tallest narrowest juniper and is hardy clear down to zone 3.

Leyland cypress could eventually get to 60' tall, but it would take many years and I imagine you could cut it back if it is getting too big. It is hardy to zone 5. The smaller, narrower Italian cypress is only hardy to zone 7. https://www.arborday.org/treeguide/treeDetail.cfm?ID=126

Macedonian pine is a pine tree with columnar form. It also could eventually get to 80' tall and 20' wide, but it is slower growing, so would take even longer and probably never would get that big in an urban/ suburban setting, and could be pruned. It is also hardy to zone 5. https://homeguides.sfgate.com/kind-everg ... 41627.html

PaulF
Greener Thumb

About seven years ago I bought an arborvitae called Thuja Green. It will grow to 20' or so but can be pruned to make a hedge which I am doing. The trees are now well over 10' tall and maybe 6' wide. I have been pruning for two or three years. They make an excellent privacy hedge because they are very thick. My area is fairly dry in both winter and summer and this variety has done well despite liking a wetter habitat. My plants were about 2-3 inches tall at planting and grew pretty fast.

SOB
Green Thumb

Thanks for the replies. I was looking at the skyrocket juniper and it talks about it mostly being used against buildings, fences, etc. Mine will be out in the open in an area that can get very windy. Do you think there will be any concern with these being so tall and skinny?

Also, though 10-18" of growth a year is good I would like something that grows faster. Am I asking for too much? Oh, and cheap! I forgot to mention cheap! :D :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

10 - 18" of growth a year for a tree is like a rocket! If you want something faster growing, grow bamboo! But grow it in a container or with some kind of barrier so it doesn't take over your yard.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”